The Top 10 Reasons NYC Undergrads Interested in Finance Should Participate in SEMI
1. SEMI gives NYC-area Finance majors in their sophomore or junior years an opportunity to meet, learn with, and learn from their counterparts--the best of the best--at St. John's, Fordham, NYU, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Baruch and Pace. These students can either be the best resources in your professional network in the future, or the competition on the other side of the table. Isn't it better to get to know them now?
2. Every student gets match up with a mentor from NYSSA--the largest group of financial professionals in the New York City area--over 9,000 strong! Your mentor will be dedicated to answering all of your tough questions--and all of the easy ones, too. Plus, getting a NYSSA mentor volunteering for SEMI is better than cold calling people who may or may not be interested in sharing their wisdom.
3. SEMI won't affect your summer internship. Its an "add-on" program that meets before work and on your own time with your mentor, so you can do both SEMI and a summer internship--really beefing up your resume for next summer.
4. Breakfasts on portfolio management, trading, fixed income, networking, etc, etc... SEMI is the best overview of the finance world you can get. Each week, SEMI invites speakers to share their career expertise with you over breakfast, answer questions, and give you the inside scoop on how to make it in finance.
5. A stock picking contest with cheesy prizes! All SEMI students compete in our Steeplechase. The prizes this year? For the winner, a DVD copy of Wall Street. For the loser? A copy of Reality Bites.
6. A chance at a scholarship worth up to $5,000. Hmm... should we have listed that first? No, we shouldn't have, because if you think the $5,000 is the most valuable thing you can get out of SEMI, you're probably not SEMI material. We're into long term thinkers who realize that the contacts they make at SEMI are going to be worth a lot more than a few grand over the long term.
7. SEMI is a target for recruiters. In the past, we've had banks, buyside firms, rating agencies and lots of others specifically ask us for SEMI students for internships and fulltime jobs. This year, we're formalizing that effort and working on expanding our reach and visibility on the street, so SEMI students are sure to get a look from the top firms.
8. Free food! Each week there's a breakfast. We have a mixer to meet the mentors initially with refreshments. We have a pizza party. We have a closing dinner. Given the cost of eating in NYC on an intern's salary, why turn down all this free nourishment--and all of the great conversation that goes with it.
9. SEMI is well publicized within NYSSA. Each student, if they make SEMI, will become a NYSSA student member at a substantially discounted price ($30). That gives them access to NYSSA's online member database of over 9,000 professionals, each of whom gets NYSSA's monthly newsletter. The newsletter has featured SEMI prominently in the past and the SEMI program is visable within the NYSSA community, giving you an automatic connection to NYSSA members.
10. Because its all about differentiation... Each year, hundreds of thousands of students will apply for jobs with top finance firms. Only about 25 of them will be able to say they participated in this program. That gives SEMI students a leg up for recruiting. That being said, can you think of a good reason NOT to participate in SEMI?
The application is short and shouldn't take you that long to complete. Apply here by October 28th. If you are selected, interviews will take place at night on November 16th and 17th.
The comments to this entry are closed.